Sometime last week, one of my babes (girl friends from college), Maude, sent a picture of carbonara.
Apparently, I sent her a recipe of carbonara when I first made it years ago. I haven’t cooked carbonara for a long time and I’m not sure how I cooked it back then. I’ll ask for a copy of that recipe next time. 🙂
I showed it to my sister, Ly, and she’s been asking me to cook carbonara since then. Until yesterday, I told her I’d cooked it today.
I searched carbonara recipe online last night. I was looking for the creamy one cooked with eggs. The first carbonara I tasted with eggs was when I went to Moalboal, Cebu. It was creamy and delicious that I thought I’d look for a recipe similar to it but haven’t done until last night. Hehehe.
This recipe is from this site but I made twice the amount of the sauce for the amount of pasta. I cannot remember how was the carbonara I tasted back then but I think this one is a success. 🙂
I made one for 500g pasta but I’ll divide everything into 2 to make a recipe for 250g pasta.
- 250 g pasta (fettucine, spaghetti), cooked according package description
- 4 eggs
- 150 g thick cream
- 2/3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt)
- Powdered pepper to taste (about 1 tsp pepper)
- Parsley, chopped
- 250 g bacon
- 1 small onion, minced
- 150 g canned sliced mushroom
- Beat eggs, cream, cheese, salt, pepper and parsley in a large bowl and set aside.
- Fry the bacon into crisp, crumble and set aside. (I used a pan big enough to handle the sauce and noodles later)
- On the same pan, remove bacon grease but leave at least 1-2 tbsp. Saute onion and mushroom and return the bacon.
- Lower the heat. Add the cream mixture, stir continuously until the sauce is cooked.
- Mix the pasta into the sauce.
- Make sure not to add the cream mixture on high heat or else, you’ll get creamy scrambled eggs instead. 😂
- You can make use of the hot pasta water by adding a tbsp or two if the sauce gets thicker than what you liked.